Comentarios oficiales del Diálogo para la Cumbre de las Naciones Unidas sobre los Sistemas Alimentarios de 2021
Tipo de diálogo
Idioma del Diálogo
Por favor revise los detalles que encontrará más abajo para obtener información sobre cómo registrarse en el caso de que esté disponible o contacte al convocante si le gustaría asistir.
Driving Food System Transformation in South Africa via Agritourism Markets
Please register here for the Dialogue: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0tfumorjMpHdOJOeW7U1jLwu909LcdgWFa
Rationale: Cuisine is widely recognised as a key ingredient in its worldwide attractiveness. This cultural asset can play a key role within South Africa’s tourism sector strategy while being a catalyst for promoting initiatives and practices crucial for sustainable food and agriculture development.
Value Proposition: The Agritourism market (driven largely by culinary tourism) is a dynamic growth sub-sector that can contribute to transforming Sub-Saharan Africa food systems on all three dimensions/measures of food system sustainability – economic, social, and environmental through the following pathways:
- Promoting relevant and innovative agriculture and tourism related enterprises (at the national and regional levels)
- Creating on- and off-farm jobs along the higher end of value chains, particularly in the services sector and for the youth and women
- Increasing local production and marketing of diverse and nutritious food crops/products
- Reshaping public sector policies and messaging on food safety/hygiene and nutritious food consumption
- Engendering conducive policy and business ecosystems
- Promoting regenerative agricultural practices and environmental conservation
Objectives: The dialogue will present practical case studies of agritourism activities to:
- Increase awareness and generate discussion among stakeholders on key market opportunities in the agritourism sub-sector to support all dimensions of food systems sustainability including food security & nutrition, sustainable job creation, and environmental conservation.
- Identify key policy and program interventions to support maximising agritourism market opportunities for transforming South Africa’s food system.
- Generate interest in establishing an informal AgriTourism Food Systems network for continued dialogue and action beyond the Summit.