Official Dialogue Feedback to the United Nations 2021 Food Systems Summit
Type of Dialogue
Language of Dialogue Event
As a part of the United Nations Food Systems Summit Member State Dialogues, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia’s national science agency, will convene a virtual Dialogue on Tuesday 8th of June 2021 from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm AEST.
The Dialogue will provide an opportunity for interactive discussion among diverse stakeholders to discuss, debate and identify possible food system futures and the science, innovation, and actions needed by key stakeholders to address the following, as they relate to Australia:
- What should sustainable food systems in 2030 look like?
- How can food producers, processors, policy makers and consumers best contribute to a more sustainable food system?
- What actions are needed to achieve shifts in consumption, accessibility, affordability and sustainable production, so that no one is left behind?
- How can we speed up change towards developing fair, safe and sustainable supply chains ensuring a responsible use of natural resources and a reduction of food loss and waste, making sustainability the easy choice for consumers?
- What agriculture and food regulations are needed to promote the production of affordable nutritious, sustainably produced food while remunerating fairly all farmers and food workers?
The Dialogue will commence with a plenary session featuring expert speakers including:
- Mario Herrero, Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO
- Amanda Lee, Professor in Public Health Policy, University of Queensland
- Anika Molesworth, Farmer, Scientist and Storyteller
- A representative from the food service industry
This will be followed by smaller breakout groups where participants will be invited to discuss the above questions. The Dialogue will conclude with a summary from critical thinkers:
- Alexandra Jones, Research Fellow – Food Policy and Law, The George Institute
- Quentin Grafton, Professor of Economics, Australian National University
- A representative from the Indigenous community
CSIRO is pleased to be able to support the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment as the national coordinator of the Australian Member State Dialogues.
Please email GlobalFoo[email protected] if you wish to register your interest to attend.