Official Dialogue Feedback to the United Nations 2021 Food Systems Summit
Type of Dialogue
Language of Dialogue Event
Please review the details below for registration information if available or contact the Convenor if you would like to attend.
A UN Food System Summit Science Day Side Event exploring transformative solutions with sustainable, healthy aquatic foods for improved food and nutrition security and livelihood outcomes for all.
Date: Tuesday, 6 July 2021
Time: 16:30 – 18:00 (UTC+8)
Aquatic foods – the diverse animals, plants, and microorganisms grown and harvested from water – are central to the necessary and effective transformation of our food systems needed to feed the world. Often overlooked in food system agendas, this session anchors aquatic food science and innovation across the Summit’s Action Tracks, traveling through the evolution in the production, processing, trade and consumption patterns of aquatic foods in the recent past, and exploring holistic approaches to provide improved sustainable healthy diets and economic opportunities for the world’s most vulnerable.
In this UN Food Systems Summit Science Day event hosted by WorldFish and FAO, multidisciplinary researchers from a diversity of regions will share how aquatic food systems’ innovations create game-changing solutions to achieve the 2030 agenda. Discussions will identify actions needed to drive multi-stakeholder collaborations for aquatic food systems transformations to nourish all people and the planet.
- Manuel Barange, Director of the Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division FAO
Research presentation: The role of aquatic foods in sustainable healthy diets for all, UN Nutrition
- Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead for Nutrition and Public Health WorldFish & Vice Chair Action Track 4: Advance Equitable Livelihoods
- Molly Ahern, Food Security and Nutrition Specialist, FAO Fisheries
Research presentation: Harnessing aquaculture for healthy diets, GLOPAN
- Global Panel on Agriculture and Food Systems for Nutrition (GLOPAN)
Panelists in Panel 2:
- Tinna Manani, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Lilongwe (LUANAR)
- Mrityunjoy Kunda, Sylhet Agricultural University, Bangladesh
- Ravishankar C.N., Director of ICAR-CIFT, ICAR-Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM)
- Gareth Johnstone, Director General, WorldFish
We look forward to your active participation.